Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Interview: Jamie Jones-Buchanan

Friday 6th June 2008

Leeds Rhinos 38-22 Hull FC
Super League Round 16
Headingley Carnegie, Leeds

You made a winning return today after nine matches out with a shoulder injury; How are you feeling?

I felt pretty good out there but I am a little bit weak and unfit. I have been out for a long time, longer than pre season and apart from my groin injury that I had when I was 18, I don't think I have had that much time off from an injury.
It's good to get back in the team. I'm feeling enthusiastic for the lads but there is a long way to go yet but I will be back to my peak in the next few games.

Just to get an insight for the supporters; Can you tell us what you actually did in the recovery period?

I just did a lot of training really and because it was a nerve injury, there wasn't much I could really do apart from keeping the muscles around my shoulder and arm in good nick, trying not to let them waste away as they weren't being used that much.
It was a waiting game and when the doctors deemed it to be strong enough without risking a dislocation, they threw me back in there and it held up well.

The team were down at half time today; What did the coach say to you?

To be honest, we were down but two decent kicks is what did us. They weren't really breaking us that much and in our offence we were pretty good, with some good kick and chase.
We just weren't able to capitalising on it but that is the economics of rugby league for you. In the second half, they tired and we got stronger and eventually ran out comfortable winners.

Are the team confident of winning both the Super League and Challenge Cup this season to add to the World Club Challenge trophy?

We just take one game at a time and obviously we want to win them. We're a good team and we want to be confident about winning every game that we play but it's no good saying, 'We're going to win this, we're going to win that' as we need to work hard and earn the right to win it.
We want to get as much silverware as we can and hope to continue to play as we are doing.

Finally, with it being a World Cup year; Do you think you can be on the plane flying out to Australia?

I need to just get back to playing again but this is a good base for me to build from.
I have a lot of work to do in terms of my body and shoulder and I hope to get back in good form in the upcoming games to have a chance for selection.

Shamoon Hafez

No comments:

Post a Comment