Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Interview: Ian Rush

20th August 2008

Anfield, Liverpool

Reluctantly, I went to Anfield to speak to Ian Rush.
Mohammed Bhana of Batley, was launching his new book The Asian LiverBird.

Ian Rush Games for Liverpool- 616 with 30 Sub appearances scoring 337 goals. Honours – 1 European Cup, 5 League Championships, 3 FA Cups, 5
League Cups.

We're here at Anfield. Can you tell me about the Liverpool fans and how special it felt for you to play in front of The Kop?

“The feeling is incredible. It’s only when you play in front of the Kop that you realise what it is all about.
You can buy such and such items but that feeling is something you can’t buy and when they sing your name, it is something which will remain in my memory forever.”

You didn't have the best of times when you moved to Juventus but how was the experience there and would you recommend the switch to a foreign country?

“The decision is up to the individual and I felt it was the right time for me to move there and educate my football career. People say I didn’t do that well but I feel I did all right and I learnt more about football.
It’s about the age as well but the best league in the world now is the Premiership whereas when I used to play, the best league and the best players were in Italy and I wanted to give it a go.”

You also had a spell at Leeds United. Did you notice any Asian supporters in the crowd and why do you think there are no Asian footballers in the Premiership?

“I did notice a few Asians in the crowd at Elland Road and the supporters there loved their football.
You have to have the right coaches in Asia to get the best players and there much be talent out there so if you get the right coaches to do the job then we will see Asian players in the Premiership because they
have the desire and want to play football.”

How do you feel in being an icon for Asian fans of Liverpool as well as football fans in general?

“I don’t look it like that because it is a job to play football and score goals but it is only when you finish that you realise what you have done and
achieved.
From my point of view, I’m very happy to be connected with Liverpool Football Club and being the record goal scorer, is again, something you can’t buy but it is time to give something back to the supporters who followed me when I was playing such as days like these when I can sign stuff for the fans and give something back
to them.”

What do you think of the Asian LiverBird book? Do you think someone like Mohammed Bhana can help the club tap into the Asian market?

“Yes, someone like him can help establish the club in Asia because the support for the club out there is incredible.
If you go out there then you realise how much they love Liverpool and with this book being launched, it can help build relationships between the club and the supporters
out there.
Liverpool Football Club has the reputation of the Kop and the book gives an insight to people about what it feels like to be a supporter and that is what the Asian people want.”

You hold the record as being the top scorer for Liverpool. Will Fernando Torres get close to, or even beat that record?

“I hope he does beat it but I would be very surprised if he did because it would mean he was at the club for 15 years, which means the club would have been successful and it would be great if he beat my record but there is a long way for that yet and it is too much of a burden to put on the lad.
What he did last season was incredible and if he scores 30 this season then it would mean another great season for him and he will get better and as he does we will see more from him.
I hope he stays at Liverpool for a long, long time.”

Who is the best player you have played
with and against in your career?

”Without a doubt, the best player I played with was Kenny Dalglish. You would go a long way to find someone who would be better than Kenny in his prime and I was very fortunate to play alongside him.
Paul McGrath of Manchester United was a difficult opponent to play against and in Italy it would have to be Franco Baresi. They were two fantastic defenders and I always struggled against them.”

Finally, Rafa Benitez has spent heavily this again summer but do you think they will win the title this season?

“The intention would have to be to win the title this season. No good saying we can’t because we have to win it. Manchester United set the standard, followed by Chelsea and Arsenal but with squad we have and the signings that we
have made, if we get off to a good start, turn the draws into wins then why not?”

Shamoon Hafez

No comments:

Post a Comment